Wednesday, December 22, 2010

well we're home for a bit now.  the last two weeks have been pretty fun. we've been getting paid to do fun things like tube and play broomball. we didnt sleep in an igloo but we did do a XCski backpacking trip.  it was just one night in the porcupine mountains off of lake superior . the girls stayed in a rustic cabin and the guys stayed in a yurt (see pics below).  backpacking is always a good time, especially for building relationships. it was around 15 degrees but thats pretty warm when youre skiing. i found myself sweating with just a base layer and a long sleeve shirt.

our first groups come in on monday so we've been getting ready for them.  liz and i are on the same team for the first group along with two other GAs. its been fun to plan for them... this group really likes broomball. i think we have them playing twice daily for a couple hours.  im considering bringing my old hockey cage to keep me from losing any teeth (we've heard many many stories and i dont want to be one of them).

some random thoughts:
we love being in the northwoods. its pretty freeing to be without internet and tv in our apartment.  i love leaving the house without my keys, cell phone, and wallet.  days of the week dont seem to matter that much anymore. there has been a couple times where ive had to think pretty hard about what day of the week it is...it was fun, like a crossword puzzle. its nice to have it be christmas time without the world telling us its christmas. for the first time in 10 years i havnt had lexus tell me to give a car so i can have a "december to remember." its wonderful to be surrounded by nature. the heavens really do declare the glory of God here. its pretty hard to miss. i cant remember a time where i thought "oh boy, that genetically modified corn stalk really shows the glory of God" not that you cant find it, one just has to look a little harder where i come from. i think it feels warmer up here, liz disagrees. theres hardly any wind. and were 1,000 ft higher than blo-no...i dont know if that helps though. that brings us the the end of the written portion. but stay tuned for some exciting photographs...




 our deck
 our deck






 lake superior 


 our yurt






 not what you want to see on XCskiis


2 comments:

  1. You guys are too cute :) I love reading about how you are doing and seeing your pictures. It makes me so happy that you guys have found something you love, together. Please send me your mailing address so i can...well...mail you things :)
    Hope you guys are staying warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making me seriously reconsider what I'm doing with my life. Or better put, where I'm spending my life. The woods are calling me! ~Adam

    ReplyDelete